Apache/PHP error/warning(s)

Hi list

I can understand the difference between 'world writable' and 'writable
by the webserver' in concept, but how would I go about manipulating
these variables? I've perused the 'chmod' man page, but don't know what
to set the permissions to.

Specifically, theses are error reports generated when setting up
eGroupware (sourceforge.net). Has anybody experienced this yet?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart