Adding a programs to applications Menu

Hi

I tried to add gxine to application menu but I couldn't: I followed the
instructions specified in Gnome manual pages; I opened Nautilus file
manager (in root user); I typed applications:/// and then I selected
File---> New Folder but then Nautilus Crashes: The application
"Nautilus" has quit unexpectedly. Is there a way to solve this problem.
Is this a bug?