Modem strings

Is there anyway to display the current modem strings
for a "live" connection? I am trying to troubleshoot a
problem I am having with extremely slow speeds and
constant drop-outs when booted under Fedora but under
Windows XP on the same machine, same modem, no
problems.

I am using the generic driver for the modem, which is
a Netcomm Mega-I-Modem, based on the Topic TP560i
chipset.

Regards