NIS or Other Auth Protocol - Linux and Windows

This may be a little OT but here it goes:
I am going to be setting up a small network of about 10 computers that I would like to have an Authentication for so that users can login [mainly from Windows computers] and set up Shares [such as //server/home/user mapped to the Z: drive. I have heard of NIS and Kerberos but I am not sure if I can set up file shares with them. I know that Windows Server does it, for example, with Directory Services, but I do not like Microsoft and am sure that the Linux world has a daemon similar or better than that. I hope someone can help...

Thanks,
Andrew