up2date and synaptic

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Mon Jun 7 06:32:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Craig Thomas wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 15:41, Nick David wrote:
> <snip>
> (Nick, FYI check your date/time settings.)

Nope, Synaptic uses apt library to get it's work done, up2date and the
rhn-applet have their own support for all of RHN, apt and yum. By default
it's configured to look at the FC yum repository.

> Read man yum and man update for details. It's possible they are configured
> to look in different repositories and thus report differences in what
> packages are available.
>
> by default RHN uses this file:
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
>
> by default yum/Synaptic uses this file:
> /etc/yum.conf
>
> I too turned off the RHN icon and use yum.  To be sure yum/Synaptic is
> getting all the available packages, clear /var/yum/cache and then run
> yum check-update.

Don't mix synaptic and yum, they've got nothing in common except in the
functionality they provide. Synaptic is married to apt, yum is completely
different thing with different configuration files, cache directories etc.
If you want the rhn-applet icon to be in sync with the actual repository
you're using then just point the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to that/those
as well. (oh and RHN doesn't even come to the mix here, there's no such
thing as RHN for FC, up2date in FC acts as a yum and apt client instead.

	- Panu -