"--nodeps" installed package breaks apt-get & synaptic

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Mon Jun 7 06:49:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun  Microsystems wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm running FC2. I have a package (a plugin connector to Evolution)
> which I have had to install with --nodeps because of some slightly odd
> dependencies which have to be fixed by symlinking to certain libraries.
> It all works fine and isn't breaking anything else.

Eww. Grab a version of the connector that's been built for FC2 and stop
messing around with symlinks and --nodeps, available from fedora.us for
some time now:
http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/i386/RPMS.stable/evolution-connector-1.4.7-0.fdr.3.2.i386.rpm

> The problem is that apt-get and Synaptic both hiccup on this package and
> refuse to install any updates until the offending package has been
> removed. Is there a way to flag this package as "really OK" and have
> apt-get/synaptic to stop being offended by it?

In the case of the connector you could probably get away with setting
RPM::Ignore:: but you really don't want to do that, the real fix is to use
a version built for your system.

	- Panu -