Re: apt-get provides

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Aaron Gaudio wrote:

> Behold, Jochen Witte <devnull alpha-lab net> hath decreed:
> > Hi,
> >

> > is there a way to search for a specific file with apt, just like:
> >
> > apt-get provides
>
> I don't know if apt keeps track of individual files within rpms, but
> it does keep track of any "Provides" virtual packages that are
> specified in the rpm spec. Just use 'apt-get install virtualPackage'
> and it will try to figure out what you mean.

Apt understands about individual files but doesn't "publish" that
information, except for packages explicitly doing "Provides: /some/path"
However if you know the path for any given file you can tell apt to
install that and it just works:

[root chip pmatilai]# apt-get install /etc/php.ini
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Selecting php for '/etc/php.ini'
   php (4.3.6-5)