Kppp dialer and resolv.conf problems.

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Mon Jun 7 17:21:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:53:15 +0545
Aabash Gurung <aabashgrg at wlink.com.np> wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > New to the list and this is my first post.
> >
> > My intial install of Fedora Core 2 off www.linux-magazine.com had
> > problems connecting by modem to the internet.   It appeared to
> > connect ok but then nothing.
>
> same with me.
>
> > The problem arose because on connect temporary details were not
> > written to /etc/resolv.conf.   There are two ways around the
> > problem, there may be others.   Either disabling auto dns in kppp
> > and opting for manual dns or editing /etc/resolv.conf with ISP
> > details and domain nameservers.
>
> i manually gave dns of isp.
>
> > I have only received copies of previous posts from a friend, these
> > pointed me in the right direction.   Hope this is useful to others.
> >
> > Regards
> > Graham Hamblin

Hello, Everyone :)
The question that I've asked on multiple occasions since I first was
affected by this issue is this: Okay, now I know a workaround to this
issue, but what is the difference between Fedora Core 2, Test Release 3
and Fedora Core 2, in the sense that I never had this problem with
FC2TR3 (all updates applied), but immediately upon installing (not
upgrading) FC2, the subject of this thread became an issue for me?  My
installations of FC1 and FC2TR3 both not only had all the updates
applied, but they were both full installations (not upgrades), and I
chose to install Every package (One of the advantages of having three
harddrives, and 320 gigabytes of storage space :))

Steven P. Ulrick :)