Fedora Core 3 Wishlist

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Tue Jun 8 00:51:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> On Monday 07 June 2004 06:25 am, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > So how about setting up a pre-install  hardware [detection/user query]
> > that can determine which of several sets of kernel defaults to use for
> > the install?
> >
> > That is, as a selectable option. so that users who are sure that the
> > default-default is going to work with their hardware won't have to wait
> > for it...
> >

> Because the kernels are large and you don't want to have to carry around
> several extra CDs to handle it. Those that need it can easily recompile it
> anyway.
>
> If you want a customized kernel, maybe you should try Gentoo? They don't
> distribute binaries, but instructions on how to build them.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought that that's exactly what
Loadable Kernel Modules were for?  So that you could have a lean kernel
and then, instead of recompiling the kernel, just add in the modules that
you need?

Am I way off base here?

Ben