Grub Config

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jun 8 04:02:35 UTC 2004

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

>It would appear that on Jun 5, Jim Cornette did say:
>

>I have no problem with gui configuration tools, so long as they are not
>designed to prevent manual editing of the configuration files by those
>who are comfortable with such editing.

I agree. Sometimes you need to change settings and if only accessable
using the tool, you would be stuck. X settings and specific options to
the kernel come to mind.

>I configure mc & pine to use vim. I always prefer mc to a "gui" file
>browser.

Being able to configure these apps to use whatever editor that one
prefers is the best route. I use the defaults because they do what I
need. Others would be limited by not being able to select their
preferred editor. I'm all for flexibility with programs. Mc and pine are
apps that I find useful, lynx is another app that I feel is needed for
situations that the GUI is either overkill for the task or X itself is
"out of order". The OOO for X has happened during beta testing and lynx,
mc and pine have helped me to get things back into line. Pine I use
mostly for reading system mail. A visual shell as capable as mc is hard
to even consider disposing of. (Can ftp, dive into rpms to retrieve
files, even install or upgrade programs throug the shell.)

>The best editor? That depends on who is doing the editing. For me, the
>best is vim. I like having 26 named "clipboards" for cut and paste
>operations & more:
>"a10dd 		# cut to lines into the "a" named register
>"jp 		# paste the contents of the "j" named register
>:r filename 	# insert contents of filename
>:5,8w filename	# write lines 5 through 8 to filename
>:<up arrow>	# scroll editor's ":" command history

One or two clipboards would be good enough for my needs. Your pointing
out vim having this capability compells me to try vim again. For minux,
it was about the only viable editor choice.

>I always found those "recent" lists to be a nuisance. I start looking
>there for a file, I soon forget how to find it the other way (ie where
>it's actually located) Then I get very frustrated when something else
>replaces it on the recent list... So I disable that feature every place
>that I can figure out how.

The lists are a bit useless if you are trying to maintain three
installations. Instead of /system1/grub.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf, it
calls them all grub.conf. This "feature" is extremely annoying. Also the
removal of being able to type the path to the file into a box, instead
of having to navigate to the file is very impracticle. I'll most likely
be going more cli because of the limitations imposed onto the gui
interfaces for the programs.

>Actually I wouldn't argue that cli is always better than gui.
>
>In a pure cli world I'd be stuck trying to remember the details of the
>syntax of complex cli command forms. And would likely fail.
>
>In a pure gui world, I'd be stuck trying to figure out all those
>meaningless pictures. And needing to take too many breaks to keep the
>danged rodent from making my hand go numb.

The mouse is being overplayed and keystrokes are being reduced without a
need. The interfaces should work well for either user preference.

>Truth be told though, I do use the gui. But I prefer tools that at least
>have text versions suitable for use with vt100 terminals or when x isn't
>available. mc and pine are both good examples of how much can be done
>with non gui menus that don't depend on x.
>My icons are:
><alt>+<F2>commandname
><alt>+<F1>{cursor keys scroll to find the application label...}
><end of list>
>
>    Why I can't configure menus to totally ignore the mouse
>    cursor position when not actively clicking is beyond
>    me... I hate it when I forget that a keyboard
>    activated pull down menu may collide with the forgotten
>    mouse cursor making arrow key navigation difficult.

This sounds like a good addition. I have been bitten by unwanted focus
actions of the mouse myself.

I guess Fedora Core 3 should take some more information as to what makes
a more valuable cli and gui environment. Concentration toward the
braille readers and with the other accessability modes as to text to
speech and speech to text should also be better for FC3.

Jim

--
You will be traveling and coming into a fortune.