upgrade FC1 to FC2 via the CD's

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 8 05:40:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 12:43:08PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> this
> >>
> >> No. After you've tried the 2.6 kernels, you'll
> >> wonder why you stayed
> >> with 2.4!
> >
> > yes if only I can get speedtouch modem work
>
> But surely the old kernel would still be there, as a grub option?

No the old 2.4 stuff is removed.
Perhaps a good thing as there are some glibc and other library differences.
to pay attention to.

If you kept up with the test process you might have all the old kernel
images still on the system as the test process introduces changes in
smaller jumps for the most part.

In effect all the selected new packages are installed "rpm -U".
I have not looked inside the install package to see but that is
my expectation.

A more patient man than me could boot in rescue mode and
then use rpm to place each package on the old system in special
ways.  Might also confuse things but could be done.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l