Problem with VMware

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Tue Jun 8 09:14:42 UTC 2004

Marcin Szarek wrote:

> Hi All!
> I've got weird problem while installing Windows 2000/XP system on
> VMware-workstation.
> I believe VMware is installed properly - I've installed it from rpm
> package. Then, vmware-config.pl also runs and exits without problems
> ending configuration with "Enjoy!".
>
> I've created a virtual machine. Then, I've powered virtual machine on
> with W2K cdrom in drive. Windows installation starts, it probes for
> hardware and then, just after starting formatting my virtual partition
> with selected filesystem everything gets crazy. Computer doesn't hang,
> but it stoppes responding - it looks like being hardly overloaded or
> something. HDD LED blinks so I believe that something is being
> performed.
> At first I thought that my hardware is not enough robust, so i left my
> computer while "cooking" windows partition for... 2 DAYS! But after
> these 2 days LEDs were still blinking and my computer was not responding
> at all...

Sounds like cdrom-problems shown in other os-es. See with the cd-rom settings in
vmware, change the emulated/direct CDRom settings. IF that does not succeeed,
create an iso image of the CDROm and present that as the cdrom to the guest.

> Could You give me some hint on some solution? What could I mess up? Why
> windows "hangs" while trying to make FAT/NTFS partition?

IT also can be due to the virtual disk settings, does the guest-os installer
have the driver for the provided harddisk. Specially scsi come now in 2 flavors,
1 of which is not supported by your M$Windows by default. There is a
driver-floppy-image on the VMWare website.