Re: NVidia driver on FC1 (tech prob not idiological)

Gary Stainburn wrote:
Hi folks.

I've just tried to install the NVidia drivers onto my laptop without any success. I downloaded the file from the NVidia site and ran

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

This ran fine, said it couldn't find the correct kernel interface, so it built one, and then finished without errors.

I then made the appropriate changes to the XF86Config and ran startx.

Unfortunately it didn't work. All I got was my screen staying in text mode with the screen having a black background with white block characters all over it. <Alt>+<Ctrl>+<Del> reboots the pc fine. I've rebooted, re-installed and re-checked everything but I can't see what the problem is.

Can anyone help?

I've put up all the files I can think of here:

http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config.orig	-- original config
http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config		-- amended for NVidia
http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config.diff	-- diff of the 2

http://www.stainburn.com/XFree86.0.log		-- X startup log

These instructions are the ones I use to install the driver on my FC1 machines. See if this helps:

CC="gcc32" sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel

CC="gcc32" sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1-custom.run

rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL

It's been a good while since I did the installation, so there may have been some changes that make these instructions obsolete.

Clint
--
Clint Harshaw  <clint penguinsolutions org>