NVidia driver on FC1 (tech prob not idiological)

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Jun 8 14:18:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:33:39PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've just tried to install the NVidia drivers onto my laptop without any
> success.  I downloaded the file from the NVidia site and ran
>
> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
>
> This ran fine, said it couldn't find the correct kernel interface, so it built
> one, and then finished without errors.
>
> I then made the appropriate changes to the XF86Config and ran startx.
>
> Unfortunately it didn't work. All I got was my screen staying in text mode
> with the screen having a black background with white block characters all
> over it.  <Alt>+<Ctrl>+<Del> reboots the pc fine.  I've rebooted,
> re-installed and re-checked everything but I can't see what the problem is.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> I've put up all the files I can think of here:
>
> http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config.orig	-- original config
> http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config		-- amended for NVidia
> http://www.stainburn.com/XF86Config.diff	-- diff of the 2
>
> http://www.stainburn.com/XFree86.0.log		-- X startup log
>
> --
> Gary Stainburn
Looks to me like you card cannot support that high a resolution. The
sections in your XFree86.conf look ok except for the very high
resolution. Did you change cards in the process? Do you have a card
that can use the nvidia driver? It seems strange that both
XFree86.config files have the same Horiz and Vertical resolution and
or refresh rates. What card are you using? Many questions indeed.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.