sendmail and dovecot

hi, I'm running FC2. I already activate and configure sendmail. Dovecot is already started. For dovecot I just turn on the service, didn't change anything. So everything should be set by default. I am able to ping to the server from my pc, but when I use Mozzila(similar to netscape) to access my mail, it returns with the message "could not connect to mail server, the connection was refused". Any idea?

Nina