FC1: aborting installation while reading RPMs

Daniel danielp at infolink.com.br
Tue Jun 8 19:22:26 UTC 2004

HI  everybody,

I'm trying to  install  Fedora Core 1 on  an AMD XP 2400 in an ASUS
motherboard A7V8X-MX with 512 MB DDR memory, using NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 MX
440-8x, with 64 MB DDR memory.  I'm using   yarrow -i386 (is that
correct? I'm supposing it is).
I've been trying to install it and probably by luck I could get a first
clean installation without any read errors on the CDs. Unfortunately I
messed up that installation and I resolved to try again choosing    a
complete installation (selecting all RPMs) and now I always get  the
message "aborting  due read errors.. This is a severe error that may
mean insuficcient space on disk or a damaged media , etc.. Your machine
is ready to reboot now"
Well, first:
1) all CDs were tested and got a PASS message at the beginning of the
installations
2) I'm using a  SEAGATE  Barracuda 40GB  partitioned a  20MB  with
Windows XP Professional and  three  smaller partitions reserved to linux
(a 196 MB reserved to /boot, a 14 GB to /, a 4 GB to /home and some
512MB to swap, the last two logical partitions )
3) the CDs are being read in a LG 52 MAx CD reader
4) I've downloaded  the iso images and written them to disk (a SEAGATE
20 GB in FAT32), as a secondary  slave  and  copied  bootdisk.img  with
rawrite  and  started the installation now from dikette and a hard drive
install a and received the same message.
To clear out my efforts:
0  I've  tried   graphics and text non installations receiving the same
message
1)  the mesage occurs on installation phase when the program is reading
and installing the RPMs
2)  the same message occurs each time in a different  rpm  (or CD)
3)  I tried to do a smaller installation  and got the same error mesage
(each time is in a different RPM)
4) I went to the  BIOS  settings and tried many configuration changes:
      i) turn off caches (L1 and L2)
     ii) slow down  CPU external clock to 100 MHz (this was strapped on
the motherboard)
     iii) slow down the DRAM frequency
     iv) turn off  DMA transfer to all disks (it seems the installer
doesn't care about this  setting on BIOS because messages state it is
using UDMA to disks)
      v) change the 80 pins flat disk cable to a 40 pins  on IDE1 ( IDE2
is using a 40 pin flat cable)
      vi) using  IDE1 (with 80 pins  flat cable)  only ( in a hard drive
installation)
           (now I will try to use a 40 pins cable and slow down the
machine as much as possible)
    Since I have a small network with four computers, I could install
the same FEDORA Core 1 in a Pentium 4 whith  128MB rambus from the CDs
withoutt any problem  with all RPMs and it is working fine.
    As an observation, on the AMD XP machine I receive some messages
informing  about errors while reading CDs during XP instalations. The
Windows XP installer just inform me about each one of them and  asks me
what I want it to do: I just say it should retry reading the CD, the
file is read  and it goes on. It's common to receive  one to three
messages  like these in a normal Windows XP installation. All files are
copied and none get lost. After the XP installation I never received
amesage like that .while reading a CD. But by what I've exposed, the
problem is not duew the CDS since it occurs in a hard drive installation.

      Can anyone help me with some information or suggestion  because
I'm  stoped on this machine for many days without  getting Fedora Core
installed? By the way, on the same machine , Windows XP Professional
works fine.  (Well,   I'm still betting on Linux)

Regards
Daniel