cpuspeed usage

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 8 19:59:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, lwj wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 08:59, Satish Balay wrote:
>> <snip>
>> <snip>
>>
>> This is a 2.6 kernel/FC2 thingy. With FC1 - you have to manually load
>> the 'driver' for the CPU you have.  For Pentium-M - I do:
>>
>> modprobe speedstep-centrino
>>
>> And for userland controller - I install cpudyn from
>> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/cpudyn/cpudyn-1.0-1.1.fc1.dag.i386.rpm
>>
>> Satish
>>
> Ahhhh, this is all starting to make sense to me. My laptop seemed very
> slow with FC2. I think I have seen others comment that they where having
> similar problems. After looking through this thread I discovered that my
> CPU seemed to always be set to the lowest frequency, even when plugged
> in. After playing around with the stuff in
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq I was able to set my CPU to it
> highest speed and it soo much faster. My governor is set to "userspace"
> so I guess my problem is that I am not actually running a user space
> governor. So,
>
> Is there a user space governor that comes with FC2?

That is 'cupspeed' - i.e /etc/init.d/cpuspeed [as in the subject of this thread]

Check /usr/sbin/cpuspeed --help
[and modify the defult behavior by editing /etc/cpuspeed.conf]
I've used '-i 1' - and I would need [RFE] an option to eliminate the
intermediate stages [like cpudyn]

Don't know how to specify 'stay in max performance mode - when
connected to battery'. It can be done manually with 'killall -SIGUSR1
cpuspeed'

Satish