cpuspeed usage

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue Jun 8 20:21:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 12:59, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, lwj wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 08:59, Satish Balay wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> This is a 2.6 kernel/FC2 thingy. With FC1 - you have to manually load
> >> the 'driver' for the CPU you have.  For Pentium-M - I do:
> >>
> >> modprobe speedstep-centrino
> >>
> >> And for userland controller - I install cpudyn from
> >> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/cpudyn/cpudyn-1.0-1.1.fc1.dag.i386.rpm
> >>
> >> Satish
> >>
> > Ahhhh, this is all starting to make sense to me. My laptop seemed very
> > slow with FC2. I think I have seen others comment that they where having
> > similar problems. After looking through this thread I discovered that my
> > CPU seemed to always be set to the lowest frequency, even when plugged
> > in. After playing around with the stuff in
> > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq I was able to set my CPU to it
> > highest speed and it soo much faster. My governor is set to "userspace"
> > so I guess my problem is that I am not actually running a user space
> > governor. So,
> >
> > Is there a user space governor that comes with FC2?
>
> That is 'cupspeed' - i.e /etc/init.d/cpuspeed [as in the subject of this thread]
>
> Check /usr/sbin/cpuspeed --help
> [and modify the defult behavior by editing /etc/cpuspeed.conf]
> I've used '-i 1' - and I would need [RFE] an option to eliminate the
> intermediate stages [like cpudyn]
>
> Don't know how to specify 'stay in max performance mode - when
> connected to battery'. It can be done manually with 'killall -SIGUSR1
> cpuspeed'

I use Speedfreq, when I'm on battery, I just use acpid to detect the AC
being pulled off and do a

speedfreq -p powersave

(checkout the cpuspeed help/man page)

Also, I noticed that (for me) if I boot up using the battery, acpid
won't detect this and thus, I created a initscript to detect if the AC
is on and call speedfreq accordingly.

> > Someone mentioned a Gnome CPU frequency applet, I can't seem to find it
> > on my laptop. Is this something I need to install separate?

You need to DL it and install it yourself. It's Called CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor.