cpuspeed usage

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Tue Jun 8 20:54:12 UTC 2004

> > > Ahhhh, this is all starting to make sense to me. My laptop seemed very
> > > slow with FC2. I think I have seen others comment that they where having
> > > similar problems. After looking through this thread I discovered that my
> > > CPU seemed to always be set to the lowest frequency, even when plugged
> > > in. After playing around with the stuff in
> > > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq I was able to set my CPU to it
> > > highest speed and it soo much faster. My governor is set to "userspace"
> > > so I guess my problem is that I am not actually running a user space
> > > governor. So,
> > >
> > > Is there a user space governor that comes with FC2?
> >
> > That is 'cupspeed' - i.e /etc/init.d/cpuspeed [as in the subject of this thread]
> >
> > Check /usr/sbin/cpuspeed --help
> > [and modify the defult behavior by editing /etc/cpuspeed.conf]
> > I've used '-i 1' - and I would need [RFE] an option to eliminate the
> > intermediate stages [like cpudyn]
> >
> > Don't know how to specify 'stay in max performance mode - when
> > connected to battery'. It can be done manually with 'killall -SIGUSR1
> > cpuspeed'
>
> I use Speedfreq, when I'm on battery, I just use acpid to detect the AC
> being pulled off and do a
>
> speedfreq -p powersave
>
> (checkout the cpuspeed help/man page)
>
> Also, I noticed that (for me) if I boot up using the battery, acpid
> won't detect this and thus, I created a initscript to detect if the AC
> is on and call speedfreq accordingly.
>
> > > Someone mentioned a Gnome CPU frequency applet, I can't seem to find it
> > > on my laptop. Is this something I need to install separate?
>
> You need to DL it and install it yourself. It's Called CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor.

Thanks for the responses. I had all this working under FC1. Since
upgrading I have not had a lot of time to figure out the new stuff. I
think this has given me enough of a kick start that I can figure out the
rest. I tried "man cpuspeed" and just got an error message. Maybe I
spelled it wrong. "cpuspeed -h" gives you a little information but not
enough to really figure it out.

Also, while looking at this I think that powernow-k7 and a couple of
speedstep options are actually built into the kernel and not as modules.