network sniffer

Jason Parks jason at innersanctum.org
Tue Jun 8 21:33:16 UTC 2004

Jason Parks
Email: jason at innersanctum.org
web: http://www.rainydazeproductions.com
web: http://www.innersanctum.org

"When the moon is bright and clouds fill the sky,
I'll be lurking about, sniffing your WiFi"

Chadley Wilson wrote:

> My training instructor showed me a tool that ran in terminal with a blue
> background that actually listed all active connections on the network
> (intranet in my case) he selected one and showed us how the text was
> transferred unencrypted, but I can for the life of me remeber what it is
> called.
> Any ideas.

Ettercap (http://ettercap.sourceforge.net/) runs in terminal w/ blue screen
if you use the ncurses gui. The following is a quote from their web site.

"Ettercap is a suite for man in the middle attacks on LAN. It features
sniffing of live connections, content filtering on the fly and many other
interesting tricks.
It supports active and passive dissection of many protocols (even ciphered
ones) and includes many features for network and host analysis."