Re: Remote X server login (Ben Stringer)

Thanks Ben,

I tried SSH too and got a timeout when running WinAXE xserver.  I did not
know where to go from there so thought Rlogin was the answer.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:45:07 +1000
From: Ben Stringer <ben burbong com>
Subject: Re: Remote X server login
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 00:17, David Carter wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to enable rlogin and use Xserver remotely?

Presumably you have a good reason not to use ssh, which is far more
secure and handles the remoting of X apps very nicely, _so_...

To enable rlogin, edit /etc/xinetd.d/rlogin and set disable to "no".
Reload (or HUP) the xinetd service.

To use a remote xserver, do the following:

localhost$ xhost +remotehost
localhost$ rlogin remotehost
remotehost$ export DISPLAY=localhost:0
remotehost$ xclock &

You should see the xclock appear on localhost's primary display.

Cheers, Ben