FC2 install hangup - no luck after 2 hours fiddling

Dalibor Petricevic dalibor.petricevic at iskon.hr
Wed Jun 9 16:39:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:40:12 -0400, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 13:01 +0200, Dalibor Petricevic wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:54:00 +0200, Fons van der Beek <fons at so-o.nl>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > try
>> > ide=nodma as bootparameter for the install
>>
>> o.k. latter today I will try
>> also, I did not found any *usable* tips concerning Nvidia
>> (and I think THAT is not the problem since the thing freez on the
>> begining, while still in pure textual mode)
>
> Agree - have seen/had lots of NVidia problems but only in X, usually
> something to do with proprietary drivers (except for the dead fan on the
> NVidia card that killed my machine yesterday, but that's OT).  A search
> of the list archive and/or bugzilla will turn up plenty on NVidia and
> the 4k stack problem, etc., etc....

Hy Phil,

yeah, no help there.

> You don't say if you actually tried the "Check Media" option.  If so,
> just be sure to do md5sums in advance to verify the media and skip that
> step.  Had a hang at that point in an FC2 test install a while back, but
> skipping the media check let the install proceed successfully.

thats the problem. I get red box saying "check media", there's two buttons
but AT THAT point nothing works any more. Mouse, keyboard, everything
dead. Cant say "yes", cant say "no". Reboot helps :-)

> Some systems have trouble with ACPI.  Might try acpi=off as a boot
> parameter also.

tried that. no help. disabled ACPI in BIOS - no help again :-)

--
dado