Disk sleep hangs box

I shot myself in the foot by doing "hdparm -Y /dev/hbd". The disk went to
sleep OK, but when I tried to access it later, the driver spit out a lot of
DMA timeout errors and then the box hung hard.

Some details

FC2 kernel-358, the IDE controller is a VIA 8235, the disk is a WD 80 GB,
slave on the 1st channel.

My primary question is whether this is a bug that I should bugzilla or if this
is just something one should never do?

Thanks,

John