promise 20376 ide-raid controller dont' work

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Thu Jun 10 03:28:45 UTC 2004

     It is possible that the sata-promise driver doesn't have
IDE support in it. Also what mode is the Promise controller
chip set in (ie RAID or Ultra IDE)? If in RAID you have
problems. The sata-promise driver doesn't do the RAID mode
but interacts with the promise chipset in Ultra IDE mode
instead. Thus any RAIDs you set up under FC2 have to be
Software RAIDs (unlike those the non-free Promise linux
Promise RAID driver used for Linux 2.4 kernels). This
means that you will not be able to do a dual boot Windows/Linux
machine which has Windows Promise RAID enabled. If a
Windows Software RAID existed you could use that with the
Promise non-RAID Windows drivers but I don't believe such
a beast exists.
      Howewver if you are only going to attach a single drive
to the IDE you might as well use the Ultra IDE mode in the
Promise BIOS settings. I have been install FC2 on a machine
with a motherboard Promise RAID SATA chipset attached to
two identical SATA drives set in Ultra IDE mode (using
a software RAID 1). It was been working perfectly.