Samba trouble since upgrade: "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

Jules Colding jules at tdcadsl.dk
Thu Jun 10 09:32:00 UTC 2004

Hi,

Since this morning all of my clients (except for one which is on another
subnet) are denied access to their shares on the samba server. The error
message to the client is:

"Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

The clients are a mix of W2K and XP. Looking into the log seems to
indicate that windows is looking for "Desktop.ini". Creating this file
makes no difference whatsoever.

The client which does succeed to log in has windows looking for
"Desktop.ini" as well (without finding it) but has no problems. This
client is on another subnet than the rest.

I can see no indications of a failed login in the logs. What should I
look for and what can the problem be??

There has been no changes in the configuration of the samba server since
yesterday to the best of my knowledge except for an upgrade to
"samba-common 3.0.4-1.FC1.i386" and "samba-swat 3.0.4-1.FC1.i386" this
night.

Did anything change in this upgrade that can result in my troubles?

System: FC1

Thanks a lot in advance,
  jules