OT: hardware advice

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jun 10 19:41:10 UTC 2004

Craig Tinson wrote:
> hey guys.. quick question..
>
> about a year ago I bought an Abit AT7Max2 mobo from my local supplier..
> it broke down 4 months ago so I took it back.. they said they'd replace
> it via Abit.. 4 months on and they still haven't got me a new board.. so
> rang them up and gave them an earful.. they can't get ahold of a new
> AT7Max2..
>
> I suggested I'd accept a different board if it was as good as the Max2
> *and* had a RAID controller (like the Max2 did)..
>
> they have come up with this:
> http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=57&catid=3
>
> and will throw in a seperate pci raid card..
>
> is this a good deal? anyone used this board?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions :)
>
> Craig

Hey, that is the board I got on my home computer. :)

It is running great with FC1 and Nvidia drivers.  The SATA drives are
working but I am not using the hardware raid.  I am using md as it
seems to have more tools.  I haven't done any performance testing of
the drives for speeds or anything like that yet.  I have had it since
January and the only problem was with an ATI 9600 video card that I
could not get working with 3-D

If they are going to throw in an external raid controller, I would
take it.  I have a Nvidia video card so I am going to wait until the
drivers are updated before trying FC2.  I have used the USB with both
cameras and sticks.  I had one lockup with the stick but the second
time it worked like a charm.  Could not repeat the lockup.

I would purchae another one.
--
Robin Laing