sound not working VIA-82xx on core 2

Just installed FC2, it detects my soundcard upon install, but when i press the "test" button no sound comes. I pressed OK anyway and tried turning up the volume (alsamixer, aumix). Still no sound. The soundcard detected is:
VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97
module: snd-via82xx

On red-hat 9, the module used was via82cxxx, worked OK, no luck with this alsa so far. Is there any fix without having to download anything?