Metacity not letting you drag a window off the top of the screen (Re: linux video issue)

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 10 20:36:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:04:57 +0200
Marcel Janssen <korgull at home.nl> wrote:

[Window controls are off the bottom of the screen and inaccessible]

> Probably you have a very low resolution (640x480 or 800x600 ?).
> Anyways, you can move the window probably when you hold down the "Alt"
> key, click inside the window and move it.

As of Fedora Core 1 (has this changed in FC2?), Metacity would not allow
you to drag a window upwards past its titlebar.  On an 800x600 screen,
this makes it impossible to get to the buttons on some dialogs.  The one
that always bugged the h*ll out of me in this respect was the GAIM
preferences window.

IMO, this is probably a bad thing for Metacity to do.  Since I can't
change the screen resolution on this Thinkpad X20 (800x600 is the maximum
resolution), I changed window managers and desktop environments. XFCE's
window manager will actually allow you to move big dialogs so that you can
see the buttons.

Having said that, the original poster has a 17" monitor and probably has a
video card that can provide a higher resolution.  Maybe Xorg and his video
card aren't getting along...

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!