PCM sound problem with FC2 on MSI 865PE Neo2 motherboard

Christian Convey cconvey at cox.net
Thu Jun 10 20:57:59 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

I just installed FC2 onto a computer with an MSI 865PE Neo2 motherboard. It uses an Intel 865PE chipset.

When I'm doing my first reboot into Fedora, I'm prompted to create a new user, pick my screen resolution, test my sound, etc.  When I do that, my sound works just fine.

However, forever after that, my PCM sound doesn't work. I can play CDs no problem using KsCD.

But here are the problems I have with PCM:
A) When I try to play my Ogg files using Noatun I hear nothing.
B) When I bring up "alsamixer" on the command line, my PCM volume is set to 0 and I can't do anything to set it above 0.
C) When I run Fedora's app for sound cards: (Start) | System Settings | Soundcard Detection, I can't hear the test sound that the app supposedly plays.

The really wierd thing about this is that the souncard test app that runs during my first reboot of Fedora *does* successfully play a sound that I can hear.

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks very much,
Christian