duplicating Linux installations - Was a wibble wish list

Kevin Freeman wrote:

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 10:57 +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:

I can prepare close 448 Linux hard drives a day using my two disk
duplicators. But with the windows drive I can triple that with ease,
because it only dumps the data not the free space too, a dump takes 3
mins for a 3gig install.

Have you tried partimage? I have used it for backing up machines before swapping drives. The images contain only used data blocks, and when restoring you have the option of skipping unused blocks - should be very fast if it can be used with your duplicators.

http://www.partimage.org/
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/partimage/

Regards,
Kevin Freeman

Thanks for the mentioning of this program. We are getting ready to move onto Linux for a system at work. This sounds like a useful program. I'll try this out, ghosting the linux drives seems to corrupt grub, with my few trials.

Thanks,

Jim