Cups crap

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jun 11 01:35:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 18:12, reg at dwf.com wrote:
> Well, for one thing, if we're at bat, it would be *nice* if we,
> the community, could vote on what was going to be in a release
> and what was going to be left out.
----
nice idea... I don't think so.
----
> Currently, it seems, that someone in RedHat's management makes those
> decisions based on their interest in commerical products.
----
that's a big assumption - but there some useless packages that have
little commercial value. The fact is that most packages that are dropped
are dropped because they don't have vitality, require too much work to
link to newer libraries, don't compile well.
----
> NB, many of us think that EXMH is the best mail reader around, but it
> is gone from the distribution.  RH's Evolution (or whatever) is there
> because it LOOKS like a windows mail reader, and windows users are a
> market that RH is going after...
----
You can however, learn how to download the source, build rpm's and
package it yourself and if that is of interest to other Fedora users,
they would likely include it.

As for evolution, it's evident that they are suggesting a mail client
that people can intuitively understand how to use. There are an awful
lot of mail clients in each distro. Windows users are what everyone is
after since most computer users ARE Windows users.

Craig