mount/umount in autofs keeps locking up (is it fam?)

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 11 12:40:58 UTC 2004

I am pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with the number of mounts.
When it gets hung up, there are only a hand full of NFS volumes actually
mounted and anywhere from one to five of the hung mount and umount
processes.

I tried disabling 'fam', but still get the 'Badness in
interruptible_sleep_on' messages in the kernel log.  However, did not see
any hung mount and umount processes.

I then tried a custom kernel with the 4K/nostack and 4G/4G patches removed.
I don't have NVIDIA, but have heard so many people complain that these two
patches have caused other problems I decided to give it a shot.  And it
seems to be working.  So far using a kernel without those patches, no
'Badness' kernel messages and no mount/umount hang ups.

Paul Raines                   email: raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 (2301) 13th Street        Charlestown, MA 02129	USA