FC2 killed my Hard Disk

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Fri Jun 11 13:56:45 UTC 2004

Hi Jeff,

> smart error on reboot. smart errors in windows 2000 hard drive is 3 wks
> old can only assume FC2 killed my Hard Disk.

> 80gig smasung SP0802N

What does /usr/sbin/smartd -V render? Not sure if this is related but it
could be: http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=221931
. The other results of a google for "samsung SP0802N smartd" might also
help ("samsung SP0802N <snip> smartmontools-support at li...; may need -F
samsung[2] enabled.").

> can smart be reset anyone know where some smart info is.

On a standard setup you can press 'I' during startup to get an
interactive startup in which you can choose which services to start. To
disable smartd you should run ntsysv as root.

> also it complaigns about the disc geom like the xp bug but I can still
> boot windows

If it boots you have no geometry issues. But your description is
somewhat vague. Better copy and paste actual errors/warnings.

Leonard.