Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Fri Jun 11 19:35:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>> Is apache with webdav and SSL an option instead here ?
>

> I don't get the solution. Can you elaborate? Meaning using an Upload
>form or something?

Windows XP (and to a certain extent other windows platforms although I'm
not sure of the compatibility matrix), allows you to 'add a remote
location' as a folder.

You can add a webdav aware webserver URL as this location.

On the server side, you have apache with mod_dav and mod_ssl (the SSL for
security as I think you're trying to achieve). Then the location
definition in your httpd.conf file could be something like :

Alias /webdav/foobar /path/to/foobar
<Location /webdav/foobar>
   DAV On
   AuthPAM_Enabled on
   AllowOverride None
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "Foobar File Share"
   Require group webdavusers
</Location>

You open the location on your windows desktop by double clicking just the
same as you would any folder.

The webserver will authenticate you (probably using PAM, but it's up to
you how you configure this part)

You can then drag and drop and perform operations as you would any normal
windows folder, the DAV portion over https is transparent to windows. And
I suspect the protocol os probably very much more efficient than SMB over
a wan. Clients for non windows users are also available (e.g. cadaver
command line Unix dav client)

A quick google gives me some links that will help explain further.

This shows some sample setup for windows :

http://www.its.pomona.edu/about_its/help/help_sheets/HTML/winxpwebdav.htm

This is the webdav community site :

http://www.webdav.org/

Installation instructions for mod_dav

http://www.webdav.org/mod_dav/install.html

Hope that this helps.. email me offline if you want more help on it :)

Cheers,

Al