Swap partition? (Re: FC2 & Dell Inspiron 7500 - newbie friendly?)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jun 11 20:09:38 UTC 2004

srb wrote:

>>1) Do I need a separate swap partition? [512mb ram]
>>    - what size should it be?
>>    - how/when do I create it?  During the installation process?

yes,  It is required, but 512mb is likely the largest you need, create
it at install

>>2) Will the save-to-disk partition work with FC2? [I know there are no
>>guarantees in life, but...]

yes, as long as the suspend feature is working.

>>3) I will probably install FreeBSD in a 3rd partition.
>>    - Any suggestion as to whether I should install FBSD before or after
>>FC2?
>>    - Can FBSD and FC2 share the same swap partition?
>>    - Can FBSD and FC2 share the same S2D partition?

Both will work ONLY IF freeBSD and Linux are using the same partiton
types.  The filesystem types are different (83 for Linux, a5 for
freeBSD) but I don't know what freeBSD uses for swap so it may/may not
be the same for swap.  As noted below other linux distros use the same
swap partiton, but that is type 82.  If FBSD uses type 82 for swap it
should use the same, if a different type is needed it will not share the
swap.