Out of memory: system();

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jun 11 21:53:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:45:00PM -0400, Ed K. wrote:
> I have fedora core2 installed with kernel: kernel-2.6.5-1.358
>
> I must call system(....) about 300,000 times from a process that has 175MB
> allocated on a computer with only 256MB of RAM. But after about the 5,000th
> call, i get an out of memory error (errno: 12 Cannot allocate memory) when
> I call the system function.

Sounds like a pretty dangerous thing to be doing. You're sure there's
no better way to design this program?

If you give some more details on what you're doing and why it
has to be done this way, perhaps someone can ofer some helpful
suggestions.

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.