enable DNS

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 11 21:55:01 UTC 2004

Nina Pham wrote:
> Peter Boy wrote:
>
>> Am Fr, den 11.06.2004 schrieb Nina Pham um 21:04:
>>

>>> I already have that file with correct ipaddresses
>>>

>> Quite strange. The DNS client is installed and activated by default.
>> Nothing special to do but the configuration via /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> You may open a terminal window and type in the command
>>  nslookup
>>
>> Ignore the deprecated message. You should then try
>>  server
>>
>> The answer should be the same IP which you'll find in resolv.conf
>>
>> Then you may ask for an address:
>>  www.duke.edu
>>
>> and you should get the address 152.3.233.7 and 152.3.233.20 resp.
>>
>> You may leave the programm by <ctrl><c>
>>
>> Does this happen as described?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> I got the correct ip back when i do nslookup server, but don't get
> anythinig from www.duke.edu. How do I make sure that dns client is on?

Then your issue isn't DNS.  You probably set up your firewall to block
web access.  Run [redhat|system]-config-securitylevel (also in the
main menu under "System Settings->Security Level") and make sure
you have a checkmark next to HTTP in the "Trusted Services" section.
-         "If you can't fix it...duct tape it!"  - Tim Allen         -