kde takes a nose dive

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 11 23:10:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:06:58PM +0200, john brennan-sardou wrote:

> Hello,
>       I don't think I have done anything out of the ordinary but kde
> and gnome keep taking a nose dive with the message "signal " and
> "Sigserv" all over the place and  I suppose Sigserv means signal for the
> serveur and of course this only happens in graphic mode. My video card
> is a winfast with a nvidia gforce fx on it. It seems to me that the
> problem is here. Also each time I try to "yum" into livna I get a
> segmentation fault. I should add that this computer contains an above
> normal quantity of via parts (which I deeply regret but life is like
> that) Any ideas how I can get out of this one please?

Well start in text mode "init 3".

You should then be able to run yum or update-nox in text mode and
install what needs to be fixed.

You did not say which Fedora release you are running ...

Since livna contains 'interesting stuff' it might be good
to dial back to the standard distribution locations and tidy
things up.  Then reach out to livna for specific packages
that are known to be FC2 friendly if you are funning FC2.

With FC2 you want to stick with Fedora's open source nvidia drivers
not the accelerated drivers from nVidia.  I expect it will be a
handfull of weeks before we see 4k stack friendly accelerated drivers
and libraries from nVidia.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l