sendmail problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jun 12 18:12:29 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 12.06.2004 schrieb Michael Sullivan um 20:02:

> First of all, I'm using evolution as the client.  I have no idea what
> you mean by mechs, but I guess I'm using whatever the Fedora Core
> default is, unless that is altered in /etc/mail, and I have no idea what
> 'saslauthd' is.  I checked the dates on the files in /etc/mail against
> the dates in my backed up /etc/mail from the server PC and found that I
> had not extracted them over correctly.  I have now fixed that.  Now when
> I try to send mail from outside my domain to inside it, I get the mail
> returned from my domain's postmaster saying

Do not take it offending, but you should only run a mail server public
reachable after you learned the basics.

If you would have a look at the original sendmail.mc file shipping with
FC1 you would see:

dnl # PLAIN is the preferred plaintext authentication method and used by
dnl # Mozilla Mail and Evolution, though Outlook Express and other MUAs
do
dnl # use LOGIN. Other mechanisms should be used if the connection is
not
dnl # guaranteed secure.
dnl #
dnl TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

MECH means the mechanism SASL uses to handle authentification data
(username and password). And the saslauthd is the SASL authentification
daemon, run by the init script /etc/init.d/saslauthd.

> <michael at espersunited.com>
>     (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error)

> 553 5.3.5 espersunited.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
> problem?)
> 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error

You domain name is not listed in the /etc/mail/local-host-names files.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.427
Serendipity 20:07:02 up 15:49, 8 users, 0.22, 0.32, 0.25