PlexWriter 24/10/40a FC1

John Thompson john at os2.dhs.org
Sat Jun 12 18:49:58 UTC 2004

My Teac SCSI CD writer recently died, and being unable to find a similar
replacement without spending a fortune, I eventually settled on a
PlexWriter 24/10/40a ATAPI drive to replace it.  I've installed it and
the kernel finds it without problems using the ide-scsi module:

Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-R   PX-W2410A Rev: 1.04
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

But I have been unable to successfully write a complete CD without ide-scsi crapping out on me:

Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: hdd: lost interrupt
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: hdd: lost interrupt
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: hdd: lost interrupt
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: hdd: lost interrupt
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: hdd: lost interrupt
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: ide-scsi: scatter gather table too small, padding with zeros
Jun 12 12:26:53 starfleet kernel: hdd: lost interrupt

...and so on, until I *REBOOT* the machine (grr...).

Google didn't help me much, except to give me the sinking feeling that
this is a problem with the ide-scsi code in the later 2.4.2x kernels.

For the record, I'm using a dual PIII-600 machine with 512MB RAM, two
20GB HDs on the first IDE channel, a 48x CD-ROM drive (master) and the
PlexWriter (slave) on the second channel, two "real" (non-emulated) SCSI
channels; the first with two DLT tape drives and the second with a
5x47GB software RAID array.

My cd-write attempts with the PlexWriter have been writing files from
the RAID array to the CD writer; the master CD-ROM drive that shares the
IDE channel with the PlexWriter has been empty.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)