Firewall & Routing - help! (PROBLEM SOLVED!)

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 12 20:29:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 02:01:26PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 22:40 6/10/2004, Kevin F. Berrien wrote:
> >Thanks for everyone's help.  Gonna test my script some more, document my
> >settings in a notebook, and do it all over again for the production
> >install.
>
> When you're done and you have the thing working well with your current
> toolset (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), you may want to try to repeat
> the task using Shorewall. I highly recommend it as a more flexible,
> powerful tool which I just happen to find also easier to use. Used it on
> over 50 systems so far, I'd guess.

Never used Shorewall and I'm sure your testament is not misplaced, Rodolfo.
But treating a firewall as a black box without understanding at least the
basic principles of the netfilter/iptables framework/syntax is not my cup of tea. Using Shorewall and then studying its scripts would be a good thing, though. I'm with Kevin who is taking a more studious approach.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca