Emailing a file attachment w/ cron

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 12 22:40:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:39:03AM -0500, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> From: "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin at weiss.name>
> To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:39:03 -0500
> Subject: Re: Emailing a file attachment w/ cron
>
> From: "Paul Dubinsky" <pdubinsky at flxent.com>
> > I'm using FC1 and I need to email a log file with cron. I'm currently
> using
> > send but send takes the logfile and makes it the body of the email. I want
> > to send it as an attachment. I've Man'ed mail, send and post but none of
> > these explicitly handle attachments.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> I think that mutt will do this.
>
> mutt -s "This is the subject" -a attached.file -i body-text.file  anybody at somewhere.com

Mutt is my tool of choice.

Pine has the -attach and -attachlist -attach_and_delete command line
flags that have value here.

The key is knowing that the body of the message needs to be
transformed so it is a mime compliant body (Multipurpose Internet Mail
Extensions).

The man page for mime (man mime; metamail package) gives some clue on
how to do this with metamail tools.  One of the tools in the metamail
package that will work is mailto (see also  metasend).

There are more tools...

   man -k mime
   apropos mime

gives a list of tools that are handy for shell
programmers, see also mewcat sendfiles splitmail.

Depending on the scripting language there are more options.
perl-MIME-tools, are handy if you work in perl.  php has multiple MIME
tool kits. Same for ruby, java, javascript, python.

mimetic is a GPL MIME library for C++ folks.
SDK - C programmers .... http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6027-10/mirc.htm

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l