Re: enable DNS

At 15:33 6/12/2004, Kenneth Porter wrote:
--On Saturday, June 12, 2004 6:50 AM -0500 Jeff Vian <jvian10 charter net> wrote:

Your caching nameserver still needs to query some other server for
lookups and setting that as the only nameserver in resolv.conf will break
dns for you.

How will it "break DNS"? Works fine on my mail servers, which do a *lot* of lookups, not just for regular domains but also for dnsbl's.

It won't break DNS; Jeff's comment is incorrect. My networks (those large enough to use a caching-nameserver) are setup in the same way and they work just fine.

The only way in which such a setup would not work is if forwarding was disables in query resolution, and that is *not* a standard or even common configuration.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz simpaticus com