Placing dirve icons on Desktop

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 13 12:21:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 08:15:53AM -0700, Mac wrote:
> I have both of my windows vfat drives mounted
> automatically but I can't place an icon for either of
> them on the gnome desktop.  In FC1 it was simple, the
> OS did it for me but in FC2 that doesn't seem the case
> at all.  Are there any hints or statements that would
> accomplish this feat?  I would like to double click on
> the icon instead of going through the many clicks in
> the file browser.

On my system, when I mount my FAT32 drive an icon is automatically
placed on the desktop. Is the partition you're trying to mount
listed in /etc/fstab? Mine looks like this:

/dev/hda1	/mnt/C	vfat    noauto,owner,users 0 0

The "users" in the above line allows me to mount it when I'm
not logged in as root. When I log into GNOME, I just open up
"computer," right-click on C and click "mount volume". Alternatively
you can go to the GNOME menu under System Tools -> Disk Management
and mount it there. It's gotta be in /etc/fstab first, though.

Hope this helps. (I'm not that smart, I just learned this from
reading the list)