Constant 20% CPU load after upgrade to fc2

Rud Holmgren fc2 at tytte.dk
Sun Jun 13 11:14:29 UTC 2004

Having just upgraded my fc1 installation to fc2
I experience that the CPU is constantly loaded
at about 20% average. On the system monitor applet
the load appears as spikes when using a 0.5 sec
update interval. The spikes are neither regularly
spaced nor equal in height. When running top in
a terminal it reports the average user space load
at about 20%, approx 1% system  load, and about
80% idle time. No process in the process list
eat more than 1%-2%.

My guess is that some process is started regularly
that eats up a lot of resources and then dies. I
have tried catching this - without any luck. I
have some of the kernel userspace helper threads
under suspicion (a khelper). It's kind'a frustrating
so I hope somebody has an idea at to what is
happening.

/rud