problem login as root

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jun 13 12:58:54 UTC 2004

Am So, den 13.06.2004 schrieb EcK3kO [-_-] um 6:11:

> im new on linux and there are some aplication that doesnt run on a terminal
> but need root permision so i cant use "su" what do i have to do:? before i
> just login as root thats all....

It is "su -" and not just "su". That way, using the correct command,
will open up a full root login shell with all the root path environment
setting. Therefor the applications are found in the common paths like
/sbin or /usr/sbin. And about which applications do you speak which need
root permissions and can not be started through a terminal? Nearly all
if not all applications requiring root permissions are opened through
consolehelper application so that if you call them as normal user
running X there pops up a small window asking you for the root password.
After giving that in the application starts proper.

So explain yourself a bit more.

> even thought you said is a bad habit login as root i dont like that
> something goes wrong on my linux i just want to fix the problem so please
> help me....

We all don't like if things do not work like we expect. And the answer
you expect is often not the one you get.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.427
Serendipity 14:52:34 up 1 day, 10:35, load average: 0.33, 0.27, 0.18