VMware Workstation 4.5.2 won't install VMware Tools (FC2 host, Windows guest)

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Mon Jun 14 00:06:21 UTC 2004

I just installed VMware Workstation 4.5.2 on FC2. All of my virtual
machines (all various versions of Windows, primarily for testing web
sites in different version of IE) start up properly and access the
internet properly. However, in each of them there is a message in the
bottom left hand corner of the status bar:

Your version of VMware Tools is out of date

But when I do (with the VM started and a user with admin privileges is
logged in):

VM -> Installl VMware Tools...

nothing happens. I read through the documentation, where it suggested
doing (in the VM):

Start -> Run -> D:\setup\setup.exe

and still nothing happens. This is the first time the setup of VM tools
has failed for me after an upgrade to a newer version VMware
Workstation. Is anyone else seeing this?

As I understand this, when you do VM -> Install VMware Tools... VMware
workstation temporarily detaches the CD drive interface from the
physical drive and instead attaches it to an ISO image, and so I am
guessing it is that stage which is failing. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com