NFS4 startup error - RPC MTAB not found ??

Greg Wildman rhlist at itns.co.za
Mon Jun 14 14:44:37 UTC 2004

Edward Hourigan said the following on 14/06/2004 13:45:
> When booting up, the script /etc/init.d/nfs reports:
>
> Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
> Starting rpcidmapd
> Starting NFS4 idmapd: Error: RPC MTAB does not exist.
> Starting rpc.svcgssd
>

> What is RPC MTAB?
>
> Not sure if this is causing my NFS client problems or not.  Each client
> reports 'permission denied' when trying to mount NFS shares.

You need to have the sunrpc module loaded which mounts the rpc_pipes
filesystem.

grep -v '^#' /proc/mounts | awk '{ if ($3 ~ /^rpc_pipefs$/ ) print $2}'

should give you the following:

/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs

If not, check that your sunrpc module is loading correctly. Try loading
it manually,

modprobe sunrpc

--
Greg