bootdisk

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 14 16:35:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 12:10, Angie wrote:
> I have tried Windows XP AND Fedora Core 2  to see if my cd-rom was bootable
> but all it does is gives me an error message that it can't read it. I can
> install any OS just fine on that cd-rom as long as I have a boot disk. My
> husband's computer will boot both of those CDs so I don't think there is
> anything wrong with the CDs. I have two CD-roms...one is CD-RW and another is
> just plain CD-rom. They both are using the same cable connecting to the
> computer. Do you think that could interfer the cd-rom booting? Sometime I
> wonder.
>
> I will try the Smart boot manager first and if that doesn't work, I will try
> other suggestions. Thanks for the Advices!

Angie,

How old is your motherboard?  Could there be a BIOS upgrade that might
solve your problem?

I have a relatively old motherboard with a CDRW and DVD-RW, both
configured on the second controller, and can boot from either. But, had
trouble before updating the BIOS.

Some other things to try:

Try booting with only one of the devices connected.  Try each.

Set the devices to master and slave not cable select.

Bob...