Single NIC multiple configurations

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Mon Jun 14 17:53:28 UTC 2004

Michael Griffin wrote:

>I have a laptop with a single NIC which I use for both work and home.
>Obviously my network settings are different but I was wondering if I
>could set it up so that the correct configuration would come up
>depending upon which environment I was in.  I am not opposed to manually
>bringing the network up or down in each, setting, I am just wondering
>what would be a "best practice".
>
>I was/am considering using aliasing (eth0:0, eth0:1), but I am not sure
>how I would go about it.
>
>All responses appreciated,
>
>Thank you,
>
>Michael

Use multiple network profiles as configured via system-config-network on
FC2 or redhat-config-network on FC1.
I.E. create a home profile and a work profile and put different named
inteface configurations that may use the same device (eth0) in, and have
one active in home profile, and one active in work profile.
Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf duplicating the entire entry for your
preferred boot choice, then add "netprofile=home" to the kernel line on
one, and "netprofile=work" to the other.
Hint: you can add "home" to the end of one title line and "work" to the
end of the other title line so it is easy to tell which you are choosing
in the grub boot menu at next boot.

Here is a sample boot entry for a "home" network profile:
#
title Fedora Core (2.6.3-2.1.240) home
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3-2.1.240 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-cd vga=792
acpi=on psmouse.proto=imps netprofile=home
        initrd /initrd-2.6.3-2.1.240.img

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021